Top-Notch Schools for Every Child
"Every child deserves an outstanding education that prepares them for the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century. To continue to create jobs and remain competitive in the global economy, we must provide the funding necessary to keep our public education system among the best in the nation."
In the General Assembly, Alfonso successfully:
- Fought for teacher pay raises, including a 5% raise passed in the 2019 session.
- Worked to defeat legislation allowing the State Board of Education to impose charter schools on any school district in the Commonwealth.
- Led the fight against legislation that would have created a backdoor for mandatory censorship of educational materials, regardless of the context in which the material was being taught.
As Delegate, Alfonso will support legislation that will:
- Increase participation in Pre-K programs. Science tells us that 90% of a child’s brain development occurs before age five. We must expand voluntary Pre-K programs for more four-year-olds.
- Provide funds to reduce class sizes and meet Virginia’s Standards of Learning.
- Create programs to help special needs, non-English-speaking and gifted students.
- Expand opportunities for Northern Virginians in the state colleges and universities.
- Increase funding, access and support for Virginia’s vibrant community college system.
- Ensure that teachers are paid a quality, professional wage—not just in Northern Virginia—but all over the Commonwealth.