Delivering on Diversity, Tolerance and Solidarity
"My father is an immigrant from Venezuela and my mother was a teacher and counselor for over 30 years; they taught me the importance of social justice, continuing education, and ensuring that everyone has a path to achieve the American Dream. The Virginia I know and love has been a welcoming place for people from all walks of life and from all parts of the world and I believe that, working together, we can build a Commonwealth that builds everyone up and leaves no one behind."
In the General Assembly, Alfonso successfully:
- Passed legislation creating the Virginia Affordable Housing Trust Fund, which has already invested over $1.4 million on affordable housing projects in the 49th district.
- Fought to pass legislation strengthening protections for tenants against retaliatory evictions and from bearing the costs of mitigating pest infestations when the cause of the infestation was undetermined.
- Worked with the labor community to remove language added to the State Budget prohibiting the use of Project Labor Agreements on interstate transportation projects.
- Organized legislators in Northern Virginia to successfully push the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) to increase the minimum wage for contract employees at our local airports.
- Worked with Attorney General Mark Herring to expand access to in-state tuition for DREAMer students in Virginia.
- Negotiated across party lines to pass legislation cracking down on Notario Fraud in Virginia.
- Worked with Governor McAuliffe to restore the right to vote for convicted felons who served their time and paid their debt to society.
- Led the fight to save funding for Child Advocacy Centers, which address the needs of child abuse victims across Virginia.
As Delegate, Alfonso will support legislation that will:
- Expand employment and housing protections for members of the LGBTQ communities.
- Codify employment non-discrimination and allow local governments to have non-discrimination policies for their employees.
- Implement In-State Tuition benefits for children who graduate from a Virginia high school, are accepted by an institution of higher education in Virginia, whose parents can prove they pay taxes and that they are in the process of becoming naturalized.
- Implement comprehensive immigration reform policies in Virginia.
- Defend the civil rights of all Virginians.
- Defend a woman’s right to choose.