What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus, also referred to as COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease 2019), is a very contagious virus named for the crownlike spikes that protrude from its surface. The coronavirus can infect both animals and people and can cause a range of respiratory illnesses from the common cold to lung lesions and pneumonia.
Click the video below from the CDC to learn more about coronavirus:
Symptoms of Coronavirus
Symptoms of coronavirus, which can take between two to 14 days to appear, include:
- Dry cough;
- Fatigue; and,
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
How Can You Protect Yourself?
The CDC recommends the following:
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly for at least 20 seconds. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water aren’t available.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects people frequently touch.
Who Is at Higher Risk?
According to the CDC, some people are at higher risk of getting very sick from this illness. This includes:
- Older adults
- People with heart disease
- People with diabetes
- People with lung disease
If you are at higher risk of getting sick from coronavirus, you should consider taking the following precautions:
- Stock up on supplies.
- Take everyday precautions to keep space between yourself and others.
- When you go out in public, keep away from others who are sick, limit close contact and wash your hands often.
- Avoid crowds as much as possible.
- Avoid cruise travel and non-essential air travel.
- During a COVID-19 outbreak in your community, stay home as much as possible to further reduce your risk of being exposed.
For more information about coronavirus and ways you can protect yourself from the virus, please see the following resources and links:
- CDC Homepage for Coronavirus
- Virginia Department of Health Coronavirus Homepage
- CDC Guidance for Households
- Preparedness Checklist in the Event of a Pandemic - for Individuals and Families
- New York Times: “How Worried Should You Be About the Coronavirus?”
- VA Coronavirus Resources for the Immigrant Community
- Recursos de coronavirus para la comunidad inmigrante en Virginia