Alfonso believes in a Commonwealth that lifts everyone up and leaves no one behind. As our Delegate, he has been a proven champion for our values and priorities in Richmond.
High Quality Affordable Housing
- Alfonso succeeded in passing legislation to create the Affordable Housing Trust Fund in Virginia, which has already invested over $1.4 million on affordable housing projects in our community.
- Alfonso passed legislation strengthening protections for tenants against retaliatory evictions.
- Alfonso successfully championed legislation protecting tenants from bearing the costs of mitigating pest infestations when the cause of the infestation was undetermined.
Fighting for Working Families
- Working with the labor community, Alfonso led the charge to remove language added to the State Budget prohibiting the use of Project Labor Agreements on interstate transportation projects.
- Alfonso organized legislators in Northern Virginia to successfully push the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) to increase the minimum wage for contract employees at our local airports.
Supporting Small Businesses
- Alfonso successfully passed legislation streamlining the Small, Women-owned, and Minority-owned (SWaM) certification process in Virginia to reduce unnecessary paperwork and help truly small businesses compete for contracts with the Commonwealth.
- He introduced and helped pass legislation creating a Small Business Investment Grant Fund.
Protecting Immigrants and New Americans
- Alfonso worked with Attorney General Mark Herring to expand access to in-state tuition for DREAMer students in Virginia.
- He introduced and helped pass legislation to expand Medicaid coverage to immigrant mothers for prenatal care.
- Alfonso worked across party lines to pass legislation cracking down on Notario Fraud in Virginia.
- Alfonso successfully passed a resolution recognizing April 14th as Chagas Disease Awareness Day to increase awareness in the United States about this terrible disease affecting New Americans from Central and South America.
Defending the Right to Vote
- He passed legislation to ease congestion at polling places on Election Day.
- Alfonso worked with the State Board of Elections to increase election transparency and performance data collection so we can fairly evaluate how our elections are being conducted. This helps the Commonwealth identify problems on election day and better protect the right of everyone to vote.
- Alfonso worked with Governor McAuliffe to restore the right to vote for convicted felons who served their time and paid their debt to society.
Strengthening our Social Safety Net
- Alfonso worked to improve the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program so that those in need can earn lifelong jobs skills in apprenticeship programs without fear of losing their assistance.
- He successfully fought to preserve the funding for critically important free health clinics across the Commonwealth such as the Arlington Free Clinic.
- Alfonso led the fight to save funding for Child Advocacy Centers, which address the needs of child abuse victims across Virginia.
Protecting Our Environment and Increasing Renewable Energy
- Alfonso is the founder and co-chair of the Virginia Environment and Renewable Energy Caucus in the General Assembly.
- Alfonso made it easier to build more environmentally friendly vehicles in Virginia, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels.
- Alfonso closed loopholes in our statewide renewable energy goals to encourage investment in new renewable energy in Virginia.
- Alfonso expanded the limit on non-residential solar net-metering projects in Virginia to incentive more solar projects throughout the Commonwealth.
- Alfonso introduced and helped pass legislation to strengthen the building codes for Virginia’s public buildings so they are more energy efficient and environmentally friendly.
- Alfonso worked with VDOT to replace trees lost on current and future VDOT projects in our District.
- Alfonso successfully fought to increase funding for the Storm Water Local Assistance Fund and the Agricultural Best Management Practices program to reduce polluted run-off into the Chesapeake Bay.
- Alfonso successfully passed a resolution recognizing the last Saturday in September as Public Lands Day in Virginia to celebrate this important natural resource.
Strengthening Public Education
- Alfonso worked to defeat legislation allowing the State Board of Education to impose charter schools on any school district in the Commonwealth.
- He also led the fight against legislation creating a backdoor for mandatory censorship of educational materials regardless of the context in which the material was being taught.
Investing in Transportation and Transit
- Alfonso helped pass Virginia’s first increase in dedicated transportation funding in over 27 years.
- Alfonso successfully championed legislation protecting bicyclists in Virginia from being followed too closely by motorized vehicles.
Increasing Public Safety
- Alfonso worked with Attorney General Mark Herring to pass legislation banning the sale of powdered alcohol in Virginia, which was being marketed as a way around alcohol restrictions for children and at commercial establishments.
- Alfonso successfully challenged legislation that would have made it easier for children to gain access to exotic weapons such as switch blades, throwing stars, and brass knuckles.
Improving our Community
- Alfonso negotiated to keep and expand Arlington’s DMV on Four Mile Run Drive when plans were made to move the facility out of the 49th District.
- Alfonso organized bilingual healthcare enrollment events to help constituents sign up for health insurance through the Affordable Care Act.
- Alfonso worked with VDOT and Arlington County to reach an agreement on a bike path in our community that would reduce the number of trees that needed to be removed while extending multimodal transportation options for residents of the 49th District.